The Customs House was one of the first buildings in Punta del Este.
Built in 1886, it was designed by architect Jaime Mayol.
It consists of a two-storey rectangular construction with an 86-metre facade and a central access.
Done in colonial style, its green shutters and colonial tyle roof are a landmark of the area. At night it is beautifully lit, and is a pleasure to watch when one comes in from sailing.
The Punta del Este Prefecture operates from there.
The Prefectura is a Navy institution which controls maritime movement and is the authority on beaches, beach restaurants and of course the port area itself.
The peninsula of Punta del Este is a piece of land that divides the Rio de la Plata and the Atlantic Ocean.
Gorlero Avenue divides the peninsula in half. It ends on 15th Street, and the land turns towards the east at this point. +