Two chapels were originally built on the site where the Candelaria Church is nowadays.
In 1903 the municipality donated the site for the purpose of building a temple.
In the primitive plans, by Architect Medhurst Thomas, the chapel had only a 37 sq mt area. It was inaugurated in 1911, and funded with collections in church and raffle tickets, and administered by a ladies’ committee.
In May 1921 it was remodelled, and made to cover 200 m sq; the same bell tower is still standing.
Still, it could not cope with the summer affluence, and in 1941 the wealthier families were asked to contribute to its remodelling.
A great part of the former church was demolished, with the exception of the facade and the tower.
Architect Antonio Chiarino directed the new buildings, which were inaugurated on 31 January 1942. The present nave is 18 by 10 m.
The peninsula of Punta del Este is a piece of land that divides the Rio de la Plata and the Atlantic Ocean.
Gorlero Avenue divides the peninsula in half. It ends on 15th Street, and the land turns towards the east at this point. +