School N° 5, called Alejandro and Samuel Lafone was founded in 1907.
The Lafone brothers had purchased the peninsula from the government in 1843, and agreed to found a town on one hundred blocks or so.
The agreement included a few clauses in benefit of the area’s schools, and the specific clause that the Lafone building would always remain a property of the government as long as it was used as a school, which explains why it still exists in this prime real estate area.
The school consists of two L-shaped buildings enclosing a patio.
During the summer, it is used for exhibitions and presentations.
The peninsula of Punta del Este is a piece of land that divides the Rio de la Plata and the Atlantic Ocean.
Gorlero Avenue divides the peninsula in half. It ends on 15th Street, and the land turns towards the east at this point. +